Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

WideWhale320
Senior Contributor

Remembering to take my medication

Hi! Over the last few months, I reach a point where I CONSTANTLY forget to take my meds. I've gone almost a week without taking it!

I was told to have it with breakfast, but I'm naughty and don't really eat breakfast, so I always try and have it with lunch. Sometimes I forget to take it with me, or I'll remember an hour later that I need to take it, but have no other food with me, and don't want to take it on an empty stomach.

I have lunch at different times every day, depending on what I have on. I usually have lunch before my classes, but my classes start at different times, and I don't have morning classes. My work hours vary as well, being a casual worker.

I've tried putting reminders on my phone, but I can never get them lined up with my day, and then I just forget anyway. Sometimes I'll even leave hem at home, so I don't have them with me!

Does anyone have any tips on how to remember to take their medication? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Remembering to take my medication

Hi @WideWhale320
I used to have a pill box and prepare meds on the weekend in the compartments (as i was on several meds for both mi and other things).. and I would keep putting museli bars in my bag so i had a snack... also phone reminders helped a lot.

@WideWhale320 Writing on paper the word 'pills' around the house like on the front door and in the bathroom so that there are reminders all through the house may help. I have a routine that I stick to and that helps me. If I get out of that routine then I forget.

Thank you @Former-Member and @greenpea 🙂

I do have a pillbox that I fill up twice a week, each day has its separate box and you can take each box off, so I don't need the whole set. I have to fill it up twice a week as I've lost a few of the single boxes!

I'll put a note on my pillboxes, put a reminder on my phone, and always make sure I have a snack in my bag, and put my pills with it 🙂

I have lots of issues with this. It’s lucky I don’t rely on the contraceptive pill because I’d constantly forget to take it and then forget that I forgot to take it...

If you don’t have any kiddies in your house, what about putting them on your bedside table and taking them just before you get out of bed.

@WideWhale320
I too sometimes forget to take my meds. I fill up my med dispenser weekly. Like you I am bad with having regular meals. So I take my meds - when I remember - without food. Better to take the tablets without food than to not take the tablets at all.

Hi @WideWhale320,

There are some great ideas here! I only recently learnt of some apps that can help you track your medication, thought this could be an option for you to check out? 

Some them also help to track when you are due for refills as well. You can also see how many days you have missed when you realise you did. Might be worth having a look into? Here are some of them, but you can also search 'medication tracker' in your app store Smiley Happy

Pill & med reminder by medisafe

MyMedSchedule

My Medication Diary

Thanks @Lauz - I never thought of using an app!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126