Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Balancing online and Offline

hi @HeatherKnight12 and welcome 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @outlander

For me balancing time online and offline depends on my priorities, commitments and need of the forum. And if it's productive or not for me now.

With need - when I had a breakdown quite a few years ago I had more need for the forum. Presently I don't as I am doing very well and am stable - and being online when better can become counterproductive then for me. I have seen countless over the years come and go here and other groups. They go when they are better and no longer have a need, so it depends on ones situation and need to how much time we spend online.

Priorities - my own self care and those who are with and around me in my life, whom truly appreciate me, will take priority with my time. 

Commitments - again tending to my family, friends and volunteer work takes precedence with balancing my time. They will come first. Any time left over I do what is beneficial for me for self care and relaxation now. That's how I balance my online and offline time 😘

Thank you @Former-Member ☺ that is some very good points youve written there

Great thread @outlander How are you going with finding balance? 

I can see there was a topic tuesday a little while back on online life and it talked a bit about balance. Wanted to drop it in here in case it's useful to anyone. 

Wow @Margot seems so long ago i was asking. Its better now. I gave myself goals each day and as a reward then i would come on here as a reward.
I have a forum plan somewhere too that helped alot but i dont know where it is now but find i dont need it anyway as ive learn all thr things on there.

-set goals for yourself each day and use here as a reward
-find activities that help fill in your day so you dont find yourself on here 24/7
- have supports offline and utilise the helplines as well helped me balance here.

There i some pretty good tips on this thread and also the link you shared will be great too.

Those sound like really great tips @outlander and it's nice to hear you're feeling more of a sense of balance now too 🌳 

Interesting thread @outlander There have been times (years past) when I wasn’t working and spent most of my life online. Support groups were helpful, even lifesaving at times, but there was a point where they stopped being so. I guess it was when I reached a point of wellness and needed to move out, and didn’t immedistely realise.

Now I go months at a time without coming here. Sometimes that’s because I’m doing well and don’t want to think about MI. Other times it’s because I’m drowning in work and have no time to notice myself.

I think I just  forgot your question and rambled irrelevantly. 

Ha! sorry

@skuapositive @-Rayne-, @outlander, @Former-Member, @soul

very important @outlander, I find logging off at 9pm at night time works for me xx

I have a different habit to most in that I often pop online in the mornings before my family is up. This is because i am at my healthiest and most energetic in the morning. I find it difficult to determine what is real when i am tired or stressed and so the online world - as wonderful as it is - is sometimes dangerous for me when I sick. I am more likely to say things that might offend or simply completely overlook another person's feelings  accidently. Then I will spiral with guilt, thus rendering the experience counter productive.

But I do register the need to communicate with others who understand and i have popped online occasionally to ask for help. It is tricky isn't it? 

For me it's about reading the warning signs to monitor my own behaviour.

Thanks so much for sharing everyone
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126