Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Wedgetail99
Senior Contributor

Journalling - How do you do it?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in writing and journalling as a form of therapy and/or self-care, and also to try and make sense of my emotions; good days and bad days and potential reasons behind them. I have a gorgeous lined notebook just sitting there.. but I'm not sure where to start. 

So I'm wondering if you use writing as a tool, how do you do it? Is there a structure? For instance - 3 things you're grateful for each day. How do you begin? "Dear Diary"?  "Dear Me"? 

❤️

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Journalling - How do you do it?

Hi @Wedgetail99 we haven't spoken yet 🙂  I have a little book which fits into the palm of my hand. I use that to write things down that I hear which I like. I used to write on my arm but this is far better I think. Short and sweet words which raise my spirits 🙂

Here is one which was written by a fellow formite (whose name I cannot remember so apologies to that particular person) 'Be compelled forward into whatever awaits. Excelling ourselves to death'.

20180726_160123.jpg

Hi @greenpea,

That sounds like a really lovely idea.  Focusing on positive stuff is always a good place to start! Yesterday I downloaded an app designed to help with depression/anxiety symptoms and this is a quote that it gave me when I was particularly anxious. It resonated with me quite a lot, so i'm going to stick it in my above mentioned journal!

@Wedgetail99  Looking forward to seeing it. Waiting for the pic to clear atm have triangle of doom thingy (as we call it :)).

@Wedgetail99 Your pic is up and you know what it made me think about how I deal with my fears ....  (if I am feeling strong enough) I go head first at them. I always find that getting on with things and not letting fears rattle me is the best course of action.... easier said than done of course :). 

@greenpea that's a pretty awesome way to approach life.. I'm quite the opposite. I overthink and procrastinate and shy away from every situation that makes me uncomfortable, even if it's not scary or difficult at all.  My mind plays tricks and convinces me that this is going to be the worst experience ever,  something terrible is going to happen etc.  and it takes everything just to take that step forward.  Even something as simple as going on a train or going out for dinner with friends. 

Hello @Wedgetail99

I just saw the title of this thread and have read your thoughts...

I journalled extensively years ago...

I have started...stopped...started...stopped...

For me that is what journalling represents...and I emphasise for me..

nothing structured...nothing formal...no commitment...

just write an entry in when I feel a need to express...vent...help with flow of tears...overwhelming emotions...

write without censoring...write straight from your thoughts...let it flow...

your journal...your words...your way...you get to change it if you want...

it is for you...all about you...

no dates...no days....nothing recorded formally....not used like a diary...

no subjects....no columns...numbering...no paragraphs...no full stops if you want...

no rules...

in an essence allow it to be something that is simple...not another task...

if you dont write in it for a month...it does not matter ...

this has been my style...this has worked for me...

if you read some of my rambling responses to people you will see that I write as the words flow into my mind...mostly from my heart...

other styles are...some like to use them only for positive things...good things...quotes...reassuring statements..

try it 

you can always buy another book..

good luck ...I hope you find your style and it works for you...Cat Happy

Hi @Wedgetail99, good to meet you. Smiley Happy

I really like what's already been suggested in this discussion thread. I journalled for a very long time, almost every day, for decades, though I don't do it much now (the forum has kind of taken on some of that for me).

There's a whole bunch of ways journalling can be approached. For example, it's a great start that you wrote that quote on a note and will stick it in your book. At one time in my life I also used to doodle in my notebooks, a full page of random stuff, in between sections of writing. Mostly, for me, it has been words, the first thing that comes into my head, down on the page. Continuing on without reading back. Save reading it for later, for me preferably two weeks later, for better perspective.

Writing is a great form of therapy, I find. I used to do three pages pretty much non-stop, but it can be any amount of writing you like. At one bad time in my life, I kind of wrote my way through a heavy depression, was able to be a friend to myself with it. I've also journalled my dreams a lot in my life.

You might also be interested in this thread:

https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-our-wellbeing/Writing-As-A-Form-Of-Therapy/m-p/63631

These days I mostly write poetry in a way that is similar to how I used to write journals. That is, I write it in the moment, don't rework it a lot and then close the page. I find this a mindful and emotionally freeing activity. Smiley Happy

Most of the time in life I feel nothing, like a robot. Journaling helps to figure out whether, way below the layers, there’s an emotion or a voice that I wouldn’t otherwise notice. I don’t follow a plan when I do it, except I suppose to try and listen. I write whatever comes. I think it’s easier to hear through writing because it doesn’t break so many silence rules.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126