Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Forgot to take my meds again

Wow. Forgot my meds last nigh - again. Seems to be happening more often.
Only just realized I forgot. Was wondering why I was feeling so incredibly teary and off and jittery.
I normally take my antidepressant between 10pm & midnight. It's now after 5pm. Won't be home to take it until 6pm.
Still surprises me how quickly my body reacts to missing the serotonin.
At least I know I'll be right within 2 hrs of taking my missed dose.

39 REPLIES 39

Re: Forgot to take my meds again

That sucks that you were feeling worse today because of the missed meds @utopia. It's good that you figured out what the problem was though. At least that can sort of answer the "why" question that might've been coming up.

Do you have any strategies for remembering them? If not, I'm thinking maybe you could tie it in with a night time thing that's either something that happens every night, or introduce something to look forward to every night and link it up to that. e.g. if it was me, I bought a rubiks cube and learned how to solve it, and have now put it next to my bed. When I go to bed, I see it sitting there which makes me want to solve it - so if I wanted to remember to do something every night, I could put it on top of the cube or just use the cube as a memory trigger so that when I see the cube I know I have to go do the thing. ... Or maybe I'm just talking out of my butt 😛

@TheVorticon - that's a great idea. I used to be really good with my meds. I have a medication dispenser that I keep near my bed. But my night time and before sleep routine has gone out the window the past couple of months.
I've taken the antidepressant now and will take tonights meds on time.
It's weird though. I find the worse symptom is the feeling of a panic attack is on the horizon. And I notice that I'm breathing weird - shallow & a bit out of breath. Another hour and a half and I'll be right again.
Now just trying to avoid the tears - as once they start - I don't think they will stop.

You can borrow my cube if you'd like. Now every time I see it, I'm going to wonder if you've taken your meds 😛
Would it be worth moving the dispenser to a different spot while your routine is different?
Hope you can find something nice and lighthearted to pass the time til then. I have to go catch a rare(ish) pokemon that I just saw on the radar before it runs away but maybe see you later.

Thanks. I hope you catch your pokemon @TheVorticon

Hi Utopia I have trouble remembering to take my meds sometimes......my psychiatrist just recommended a Webster pack although that may be similar to your dispenser

Hi @utopia - mine are marked with the days of the week on the blister pack so if I'm a bit vague on whether I took it or not I just look at the packet. Plus I take mine first thing in the morning so I can associate taking my pill with brushing my teeth. I think the association strategy works well or there are even medication reminder apps you can get for your phone.

Thanks @TrueColours & @Former-Member.
I see my meds and I think - "I'll take those later". But then forget. Think I'll start taking them earlier - say 8.30pm. Might remember then.

Thanks @utopia I did catch the pokemon. Ended up running half the block cause I thought I was going to miss it 😛 Has the effect kicked in yet?
Hope the change to 8:30 helps.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I went out in sympathy @utopia and just realised I didn't take mine today. I say I don't have many side affects from missing them but 9 times out of 10 when I end up in hospital I've missed them. 🤔
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126