Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Christheart
Senior Contributor

Thinking about the future

I have a GP appointment next week for a referral to a psychiatrist, I'm hoping he can help me, potentially adjust my medication. I really just want to be able to functional normally again. But in the meantime, what can a single person who is depressed do to keep themselves alive? Mindfulness is something I've been doing to get through the difficult minutes... please let me know your tips and tricks. I want to have an arsenal of strategies up my sleeve. I was thinking of buying some colouring books, apparently that is relaxing. 

Thank u x

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Thinking about the future

Hey @Christheart !

Great to see your positive attitude even though it doesn’t feel too great.

When I’m down, I tend to sleep or watch mindless shows.

When I feel more productive, I enjoy colouring, adult dot-to-dots and diamond paint diamond paintings. Painting by number is also good.

Otherwise, I make myself go for a walk, or visit my family.

Best of all, practice gratitude. 

Here are my strats… I’m sure others have some too!

tyme

When things are bad for me I exercise @Christheart  i find keeping myself physically moving helps a lot, not just my mind busy. 

OK, I might get some of those little things, like the diamond pictures and paint by numbers. 

I will also try to take my doggy for more walks. That's a really good idea. 

Thank u tyme !

@Bow I have been trying to do that! I find it incredibly exhausting, but then at the end of the day I feel more calm because I'm so exhausted... 

Thank u 💜 

Have you heard of TIPP skills @Christheart ? I’ve learnt about it in 2 seperate groups that I have attended in recent months.

tipp skills are about changing your bodies chemistry- temperature, heart rate and breathing, in order to relax our mind and body when we are struggling with extreme emotions. 

t- temperature

i- intense exercise

p- paced breathing 

p- paired muscle relaxation. 

hope it’s helpful 

Hi @Christheart  Exercise in any form is in my toolbox for helping me get through rough moments. I especially like to walk or swim (when it’s not too cold) although cold water really invigorates and lifts my spirits.Even a quick 20 push-ups or yoga at home settles my nerves and gives me a sense of achievement.  I also do mindfulness practice, breathing meditation and use a really good free app called Buddhify my psychologist suggested. Other times just laying on the lounge with nice music playing does the trick. Great to see you being so positive during a difficult time. Smile Breathe and Go Slowly is a quote I recite silently to myself also from a wonderful Zen Master Thich Nhat Hahn. A beautiful book by him is Peace of Mind. Many beautiful meditations within. 🙏❤️

Join a library if you haven't already @Christheart, and if you don't feel like reading, there are so many beautiful books filled with magnificent photographs. You can spend hours on your sofa browsing through them.

Or exercize; play scrabble online–Outspell is great; Wordle or investigate anything of interest on youtube...

Take care.

Cooking something delicious is good (that is good for you) for my soul. Trying something new is even better.

And you you could always go for a walk…

Joining a library or even a book club sounds like a great idea... 

And yes, I need to get a scrabble board!

Grandma activities seem to really agree with me...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126