Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Snoopy56
Contributor

Psychologist Says I Need a Friend

Hi, I live alone, not through choice but through a series of events.  I have no friends, sad I know but the mention of Borderline makes people run for the hills.  I am looking for a person who wants to chat or email.  A person who likes:-

Cat's or dogs

Gardening

Art and craft

Dance

I think my Psychologist is barking up the wrong tree.  I won't be disappointed if no one responds but it will keep the Psychologist happy.

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Psychologist Says I Need a Friend

Hi and welcome, @Snoopy56 , it's good to have you here. 

Unfortunately we are not allowed to contact people outside of the forums, e.g. by email, due to the anonymity rule here on the forums. It's to keep people safe and allow them to write about their mental health safely. 

However, many people here have BPD, so you can start a thread with BPD in the title if you like, to get some support... You can also type BPD (or any subject) into the search bar, to find threads on that topic. 

You can also join our social threads, and get to know people...we have threads on cats, dogs, art, craft, gardening...I'm not sure about dance. (I just typed 'dance' into the search bar, and it doesn't appear we have any...maybe you could start one!) Some examples are: 

The Community Garden 

Craft Corner 

Through Ones Eyes  (an art thread)

Good Morning!  (a social thread)

(Maybe someone can help me...I can't seem to find the 'Dogs Rock' thread...I think that's the name of it?)

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a member's name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification that you've replied to them, and won't miss it. 

The forums are definitely a place where you can make connections and friends, and get a sense of community. I hope you enjoy exploring them. 

@BPDSurvivor 

@Snoopy56 I've also replied to your other post.

I love dogs, currently only own 1 cat, the BP partner grows all our vegies - the whole back yard and some of the front are under cultivation. I dressmake, paint, quilt, make hats, knit, crochet as well as decorate cakes and make all our own soap, yoghurt & vinegar. Love to cook. Himself also makes model aeroplanes - not the kit ones, ones that actually fly made from scratch with balsa and carbon fibre and stuff. I don't dance but I play an instrument.

Your psych is NOT barking up the wrong tree and I KNOW you will find companionship here.

S x

Hey @Snoopy56 , so glad you can join us here!

I have been diagnosed with BPD. My circle of friends is next to nothing, I live on my own, I love dogs, and art and craft. 

I would love to chat with you on these forums. I hope you will one day be able to embrace BPD. Trust me, it's not that bad - you don't have to run from it. It's about being determined to make changes in your life despite it scaring the sh*t out of you. You've taken the first step in reaching out here. This is a safe place for you to respectfully vent, talk to other people, share experiences, and ask questions - this is all anonymous. No one is here to judge you. 

I have learnt to love my BPD. Although it is not easy and can be quite destabilising at times, the journey is worth it. Adversity does not discriminate. Every human on this earth will at some point have adversity - I guess this is our lot in life - BPD.

I would love to get to know you more. Feel free to ask any questions. 

Your friend in the making,

BPDSurvivor

@NatureLover , thanks for tagging me. Much appreciated!

Thank you, @BPDSurvivor 🙂

Hi I live alone, with a cat, I don't see much if anything of my family and I have a mental illness.  I don't feel obligated to tell anyone that, especially when going for job interviews.  My grown up son and my ex husband are very supportive after my episodes (I have bipolar) even though I have been "over the top" when unwell.  One of my best friends had BPD as well as physical problems but in the end did very well (now I feel like I'm preaching).  You sound like you've got some good interests (more than what I've got at the moment) more than a lot of people.  Good on you, you've made another friend.

I sort of thought there could be rules regarding contact hence my comments about whose idea it was.  

I like what you said about the forum.

Hi @Snoopy56 ! Welcome to the forums! Feel free to have a look around as I'm sure you'll find people with similar interests to you online in the forums. 

I can understand your friendship dilemma because I also have BPD as well as depression and schizophrenia and that can be hard for me to make friends as well. I have one close friend who is also my housemate and although I'd like a few more, it is hard to make friends. I also struggle with the fact that I'm a twin and have always had someone else around to hang out with and people seem to think that we come together as one and have to include both of us which isn't true. I do like my own company though which again, can make things difficult.

I see that you have an interest in arts and crafts. Great! What types of things do you like to create?So do I. I have been able to use my love of craft - I knit, crochet and cross stitch- to make friends in local community groups like a knitting group at my library where we gather to knit items for charity. Have you thought of looking into groups at your local community or neighbourhood centre or library, depending on where you live? Some of the activities are low cost or even free which is great if you're on a budget. I also post photos of my craft activities here in  Re: Craft Corner  

if you'd like to have a look. Maybe you'd like to even post some of your wonderful creations sometime. 
Like @NatureLover @BPDSurvivor  said, the forums are full of many people with different interests so have a look around. You may be able to make some friends online which is still a great achievement in my view.

I hope to see you around the forums!

Judi9877

Hi @Snoopy56 

Welcome!

I'm to yourself, live alone and have limited family in just my Mum. I have a sister & young

nephew and niece who live interstate, and we don't talk that often.

i thought I had a few friends, but it turned out they were just work colleagues, as no-one checked on me when I left under stress related reasons.

i have Major Depressive Disorder and acute anxiety. 

Your Psychologist is definately on the right track, as I can't wait for Stage 4 restrictions to end, so I can start getting involved in volunteering, dog walking groups and anything like that.

I LOVE dogs and have a beautiful Cavoodle puppy, who has literally saved me throughout this covid period. I don't think I would have survived without his company. 

Oh and @Snoopy56 

I should have also said that the contacts/friends I'm made on this forum, have helped me through my troubling times over the past couple of months.  There's been some dark times for me, and this community including the moderators have been nothing but caring and supporting.

Covid and lockdown would have been even more isolating without these forums. 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126