Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Loiter
Contributor

Me, mental illness and relationships - the elephant in the room

Recently I entered into a new relationship.  Romantic relationships are a really big trigger for me, and something that I talked about a lot in therapy but it was very difficult to make much progress, unlike other areas where I felt like I made very good progress.  I have complex trauma from childhood so intimate relationships are really hard and anxiety-provoking for me.  I'm generally single most of the time, with short stints of dating here and there that...typically haven't gone very well.  I don't typically seek out romantic relationships, I have a good circle of friends and keep myself well occupied, but on a whim I decided to try a dating app and met this lovely person.  For the most part, I think things are going well, I have a very good time with them in person and they're very affectionate and attentive.

The problem is that they're often very busy so it can be hard to arrange dates, plans have fallen through due to illness.  They're also not very good with texting.  In some ways, this is good as it's helped me not get too obsessive and remember my own life and hobbies and friends.  But these last few days it's really caused me to spiral, though this might have been exacerbated by isolation and PMS.  I even started having thoughts of self-harm and suicide again.  I constantly worry they've lost interest in me, they're just stringing me along, etc.  I think I am an interesting, kind person with a lot to offer, but I worry no one is going to bother to take the time to see that, or that they will think my mental illness and other flaws are not worth dealing with.  I've mentioned to them that I have been to therapy for a long time and that I'm on medication, and even that I have sexual health issues (that I'm actively addressing), none of which seemed to faze them.  But my mental health issues and other flaws still feel like this "elephant in the room" to me, where if I talk about it or make it apparent they'll leave.

I want to focus on my strengths and the things I like about myself and make that the forefront of my being.  I want to be the best person I can be for both myself and for the relationship.  I just worry that it'll all fall apart no matter how hard I try.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Me, mental illness and relationships - the elephant in the room

Hey @Loiter, welcome to the forums.

I can really feel how much this anxiety feels almost like a sense of impending doom surrounding your relationship... that's so hard, and you've done a brave thing by coming to the forums to talk about your feelings. I hope you're doing okay tonight, we're here if you need Heart

Thanks @Jynx for the support and warm welcome ☺️

You’re right that it feels like a sense of impending doom. It also almost feels like trying not to think of a pink elephant, where I can’t think for a moment about my worries or flaws otherwise my anxiety will cause the “downfall” of the relationship.

I’m trying to take care of myself tonight. I messaged some friends to arrange catching up (I live in QLD so low COVID risk) and I’ve been having insomnia these past few days so I’ve taken some melatonin and I’m winding down in bed now 😌

@Loiter  Welcome to the forums.

You sound like you have worked through some very difficult life experiences. Good on you for that. I was impressed reading you know yourself to be interesting, kind, and have a lot to offer. I hope your relationship person respects you for all of that.

I’m sorry you are having thoughts of suicide and SH. I hope this works out for you, if it is what you want.

Take care. Join in wherever you feel comfortable around the forums, we’re a friendly bunch.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126