Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Janna
Community Elder

TMS for my son's depression

Hi All,

My son (now 18 years old) and I had a consult with his psychiatrist yesterday and he requested to have ECT!  He is feeling increasingly frustrated that nothing can shift his severe depression (which is highly debilitating) and wants to try anything.  He chose to go off medications around 4 months ago because they made no difference, and I concur with him on that.  If anything since stopping meds he is brighter and more engaging, but he still remains very disabled and non-functional. He has given up psychotherapy for the time being because he also feels this is not helping.  His psychiatrist recommended Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) ahead of ECT and my son is keen to give this a go.  The treatment requires him to be an inpatient in a private MH facility for 1 month in which he will receive TMS for 5 days of every week.  I've researched TMS and seem to be finding mixed reports of it's effectiveness - some say it did nothing, whilst others say it worked like magic.  Nevertheless, we are going to give it a go, with the bonus being that as an inpatient for 1 month his sleep/wake cycle and routines will become normalised again.  I am feeling a mix of optimism and pessimism about this and not looking forward to jumping back on board the treatment treadmill again.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with TMS as a treatment for major depression?

Janna ❤️

9 REPLIES 9
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: TMS for my son's depression

Hi @Janna

I can't say I have tried Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in the past or know of anyone that has, but just wanted to wish your son the best possible outcome with the upcoming treatment options. I so hope it gives him reprieve from his depression and the consequential relief for you.  I do understand how this illness overtime can take its toll on both of you from my own personal experience of being a sufferer and a carer. Please keep us updated to how your son gets on. Thinking of you both 😊

Thank you so much @Former-Memberfor your kind words.  I will most certainly report back once the treatment is over, if not earlier.  At this stage we are looking at admission towards the end of February if he qualifies for TMS in the first place.  He needs to see another psychiatrist for a TMS assessment. first.  Onwards we go 😊

Hi @Janna, I have had a treatment of TMS for chronic depression. I wasn't sure if it was for me and I had questions about what it may do in the long-term. I had it done in a private MH facility and was nearly at the end of that round of treatment until I felt good again. I also have 2 friends (my only friends) who are partners and they both have it and they said it worked for them. One has to have it about every 6 weeks. I opted out of having any more treatments as my physc couldn't tell me what effect it would have long-term. My friends have been having it for a number of years and they seem fine. I think after your son has his first lot of treatments you will both know if it works. I truly hope it works for him, it is painless which is good and there don't seem to be any side effects after treatment. My medications aren't working for my depression either and I'm scared to change them due to waiting for the others to kick in. I pray that the treatment is just what your son needs. Oh to feel the grey clouds lift. Hope I have somehow helped. 

Hi @Heavenbound

Thank you so much for responding to my post.  It's comforting and encouraging to hear from someone who has had TMS and also knows people who have had it as well, with good effect.  I hope it has some positive effects for my son - any lifting of the depression would be welcomed.  Many thanks again for your reply and hope that you find some relief for your own depression.

Take care

Janna ❤️

Hello @Janna

The encouraging factor in your son's situation is that he has been willing to try different options..

medications...can take a long time to find the one that works for the individual at that time...

psychotherapy for me is my best option....important factor here...you have to click with the psychotherapist..trust of course and feel safe to open up...

psychotherapy does take years though and that is why many people do not last..

I had my first session in my late 20's for 10 years..no medication at all..I was a completely different person...very in touch with myself and ready to try so many new things...achieved so much..loved life..

then wham external stuff...as that piled up the depression lurking gradually took it's hold and just hangs in the background at the moment...back on medication...went through side effects and changing ...not nice but happy that I did because side effects now are minimal...however psychotherapist did want to increase them late last year .,.I tried and wow not nice so reduced...he tried to get me to increase again just before christmas and I said will not happen...

so out of all of that there are several factors for you and your son to look at if he wants to...if he has definitely decided on tms then that is great...it needs to be his choice and I know that you already realise this..

long term psychotherapy....medication initially ...reducing as symptoms improve...aiming for nil medication...still continuing with psychotherapy...

tms .....do not know enough about the procedure...other than what you have been told here...possibly ongoing also....do they have to be in hospital for a month every time?

I wish you both all the best..

very positive that he wants to keep trying....his depression might have improved slightly and he might not realise that...four months is not a long time to be on a new medication..

Hi @Former-Member and thanks for your reply.

I am pleased that my son is still willing to try different options - that is a good sign and very encouraging, as you pointed out.  

You may have misunderstood - he is currently on zero medications after having been on various SSRIs at different dosages for the past 3 years with little to no effect.  It was his choice to stop as the side effects were an emotional numbing that he didn't like.  I could see that on his face and in his eyes - almost as if he was zombified.  Since being off meds his depression remains the same, but his emotions are more intense so we've had a few outbursts of anger and aggression. He was offered antidepressants again by the psychiatrist but declined them stating that he would like to try either ECT or TMS.  The psychiatrist has told him that meds and psychotherapy are a must post TMS to maintain the benefits of the treatment and said that many people opt out of this "maintenance" and lapse back mainly because they think they're better and don't need it.  My son is aware of this and appears to be willing to follow the advice - another plus.

I agree with you about psychotherapy and believe it does help, but that it takes a long time.  I've been in therapy for 5 years and have developed an enormous amount of self-awareness about how I operate and that awareness alone helps.  My son has also been engaged in psychotherapy for 5 years and I believe he likes his therapist alot and they appear to have a good rapport but he is getting impatient and wants more tangible results and I can appreciate that.  I don't know if I'd of had the fortitude and committment when I was his age .... probably not!  Nevertheless, he has agreed to recommence following his TMS.  I myself have never been on meds and only used psychotherapy & self-help techniques to manage my mood and C-PTSD and I'm blessed to have been able to manage very well without them despite times often being very rocky.

We've just recently adopted a kitten and my son absolutely adores her.  We have another cat he also loves, but he's very aloof and mature.  My son has been interacting with the kitten almost everyday and playing games with her and I can't remember the last time I heard so much laughter and obvious pleasure coming from him.  It's a joy to observe and her arrival (we found her in the engine of our car) seems to have been a timely blessing.  They say that people who suffer with severe depression forget what it feels like to feel "good" (i.e. joy, happiness, etc) and that if they can experience these good feelings it helps tremendously to remind the brain that these emotions exist and re-ignite those neural pathways.  

All in all things could be worse and I remain hopeful despite feeling overwhelmed at times.

As far TMS ongoing is concerned I have heard that it needs to be "boosted" every ? weeks or so but I don't think it's the full 1 month course - perhaps just 3-4 sessions.  I definitely will report back as things progress.

Thanks again.  Hope you're keeping well.

Janna ❤️

hello @Janna

well I certainly did misunderstand and please accept my apology...

another indication that my mind is not functioning as well as it should be....I think it is on auto pilot...

everything that you have written explains his thinking and wanting to try something new especially taking into account his age..

he is handling this in a very sensible, mature way and that is what stands out to me in all of this scenario..

also that the mother son bond is strong and communication is playing a strong part here also...

I have a very strong bond with my younger son....used to have with my older son...these days I am unable to know..

I sincerely wish for the whole process to run smoothly and your son to start finding his real self...the kitten certainly is helping...yes that is spiritual..

I believe that some of us who have symptoms of mental illness not all of us think and feel on a different level to those who have never experienced such things...this allows our mind unconsciously to be open to spirituality when we are ready to help ourselves....this can happen over and over..

it has for me...

bless you both xxxx

@Former-Member - I hear you about auto-piloting - I'm often guilty of the same.  And I'm with you on the spiritual things 100%.  Have you watched "Crazywise" the documentary film - it is excellent and presents mental illness through the lens of traditional cultures and shamans in which they see it as a breakthrough rather than a breakdown.  Well worth the watch.

Have a lovely day and take care

Janna ❤️

Hello @Janna

@sorry only just saw your message..

a fair bit happening at moment so have responded to far less posts..also those I remember..

I will definitely look up the film..

my missing so was into shamanism...he gave me the book years ago...

I will follow it up..book buried in boxes in storage..so many books That I have wanted to refer to are in blasted storage..

how are you and son?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126