Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Smile08
New Contributor

When is the right time for involuntary treatment?

Hi everyone. My husband has been ill for some time with PTSD and now has been also diagnosed with ADD as well. Recently his behaviour has become very erratic and secretive. This week, after an argument he announced the end of our 22year relationship on social media and has since been missing with just a few text messages as contact. He won’t speak to anyone or come home. He is active on social media. 

He has said things to me that make me concerned he will harm himself but he has also been known to emotionally blackmail me and he is very angry at the moment so could just be trying to hurt me.

I am wondering whether I need to put him into involuntary treatment and how to do that? 

can anyone help? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: When is the right time for involuntary treatment?

Hey @Smile08 ,

Thank you for sharing what's been going on for you. Unfortunately, involuntary treatment is not as easy and straightforward as it seems. Whatever it is, your husband has rights, and unless he is a danger to himself or others, no one can take him against his will.

If you are concerned about his welfare, you may want to contact 000 and they may be able to track him down and do a welfare check.

If he has chosen to walk out, and is safe, then there's probably little you can do.

I'm sorry this sounds so complicated.

Hi Thyme. 

Thanks for your response 

He previously tried to take his own life (in April of this year) and went into psychiatric treatment at his own will.
He has threatened to do it again. He has made this threat several times over the last 5 days to me and others.

it sounds like he is a danger to himself. 
If he has decided to build a life on his own, I’m ok with that I just want him to be happy and well. 

Thanks. 

Hey @tyme ,

When he does make a threat, this is the time to contact police for a welfare check.

I hear you want what's best for him. In the meantime, please take care of yourself.

Thank you for sharing.

@Smile08 Involuntary treatment is usually issued by a psychiatrist who has assessed the person (preferably in person, but can be done online in extenuating circumstances) and deems them unable to be cared for within the community setting. At times an assessment order may be issued by the police or other authorities for 24 hours if he is found to be actively likely to cause harm to himself or others. From there it is either revoked or becomes a temporary treatment order. What you have described here would not be a case that is deemed for involuntary treatment (in my opinion). If he does threaten to harm himself, however, the best point of call is to alert the police so they can do a welfare check and see if he may need to go to the emergency department or be linked in with other services. I hope that helps.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126