Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: rough time

I know it’s no consolation but my GP doesn’t handle any of my mental health either. I haven’t found a GP that has managed this yet but I really like my GP and trust implicitly her with my physical health. Is your psychiatrist private? Do they only do meds or therapy as well? @outlander

My previou gp done both and i liked her. Im starting over again with this onr and not sure how she is with physical issues either. I only went once before for like cold and flu.
My pdoc is both public and private. Atm i run through medicare and just pay the gap fee. She can be hard to get into though i havent been able to see her for hmm nearly 5 months now and still havent till end sept. She has told me to keep seeing gp in between because lack of supports otherwise.
No she only really does meds, enough talking to give her an update talk about the meds and side effects etc and suggest next step with them. Im usually only in there for 20 minutes @Teej

You can see a psychiatrist much more often with the mental health plan @outlander. I think it’s 40 sessions a year (don’t quote me on that number but it’s lots) is it worth trying to find a psychiatrist that will do therapy with you as well as your meds. I know the gap can still be quite large though. 5 months is a long time in between as well. 

Thats the plan im through i think..... @Teej medicare doesnt cover bulk billing for pdocs i was told. The gaps not to bad ( $40) and when i only see her usually every 6-8 weeks is really doable.
Its not that i dont have the medicare sessions its more that she can be hard to get into see. She cancelled the last session so made it harder to see her. Shes not to bad though. Shes the only one in 2yrs that has actually stuck with me.
How would i find one that does both? Im not sure that would be covered with medicare though..
Ill eventually get into see a headspace clinician. I had a call earlier saying they are just waiting on the next female psych to become avalaible and then ill be able to start seeing them.

That’s some good news then @outlander. Medicare covers many more visits with all psychiatrists than a psychologist but quite often the gap is still large. 

Here is a link to find psychiatrists, you can list different specialities. I’m not sure if it will help. To tell the truth I found a couple that I thought I’d like when I searched but they were too expensive or not taking on new clients. At one stage cmh was trying to link me up with private ones but it was too hard (cost prohibitive and none were taking any more on bulk billing for now) so I just see the one there who I finally have a therapeutic relationship with. I almost finally trust her. I’ve been seeing her about 18 months. 

Maybe headspace will help just give you that extra bit of support you need. 

I have to go for now. I hope the day gets better for you 💜🤗

thanks so much @Teej Heart
ill have a look and see what i can find. i worry about changing too cause i dont have much luck with people and this one is ok and i do trust her to some extent, but worth a look, there might be someone who is good and may be better suited...

Not really coping well tonight 😞

Hey @outlander - I'm around Hon Heart

evening @Zoe7

Hi @outlander What is happening for you tonight?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126