Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

For this Topic Tuesday we will have Special Guest @Georgie_Paulik from our partner organisation Perth Voices Clinic joining the discussion around your experiences of hearing voices, the impact this has and management tips.

@Georgie_Paulik is a clinical Psychologist and is the Clinical Director and Founder of Perth Voices Clinic. A bit more about her career:

• Georgie completed her PhD in 2007 from the University of WA and her thesis investigated the role of anxiety in the hearing voices experience.
  • She has undertaken research into voice hearing so that we can understand the experience better – why it happens, when it is most likely to happen, and most importantly, what can we do to reduce distress around it.
  • She helped develop a novel intervention for voice hearers, called Relating Therapy, which helps people to change the relationship they have with their voice (which unfortunately can often be a very negative and bullying relationship) a bit more about that here
  • She has a keen interest in the role of trauma and voices – how trauma can cause voices (for some people) and how to best address underlying trauma.

With Georgie’s wealth of experience, this will be a very interesting and insightful night! We are really looking forward to having everyone involved!

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

134 REPLIES 134

Re: Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

Hello and welcome everyone!

@Shaz51 @Mazarita @Fee1 @Sophia1 @Smashpea @Maggie @Queenie @klara @greenpea

Great to have you here tonight. As you will have seen we have special guest @Georgie_Paulik here with us from Perth Voices Clinic for this discussion on hearing voices. Without further ado, I am going to hand over to Georgie and let her introduce herself!

Hi everyone. I am thrilled to be invited today to be the special guest on this incredibly important topic – hearing voices. My name is Georgie. As you will have read, I have dedicated my carer to working with voice hearers, both as a therapist and as a researcher. I am also a strong supporter of the peer support movement and Hearing Voices Network and was on the initial steering committee for both the WA and NSW HVN. Although I am not a voice hearer myself, I sometimes hear voices and see visions when I am waking from sleep. Sometimes these can be really frightening, other times (though less so) they can just be funny, like seeing Craig Mclachlan (80’s Neighbours star) at the foot of my bed. I really look forward to lots of interesting discussion today! 

Hey Georgie!!!

Hi everyone! Been looking forward to this 🙂

Hi @Lauz and @Georgie_Paulik
I tend to hear voices when very distressed emotional and dissociate from my childhood trauma.

Hi @BlueBay @greenpea @Smashpea great to have you here! 

@Smashpea great name Smashpea 😛

Hi my name is Soraya, i've been a voice hearer for 30 years with both positive and negative voices.  I've also volunteered and worked with other voice hearers for the last 6 years

@Lauz Hi Lauz 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126