Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Sexuality and intimacy // Tues 24 July, 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

At SANE we were over-whelmed a while back at the level of response to our sex and intimacy survey.  Many of those responses were from carers who honestly shared the complications that mental illness had introduced into their relationship.

In this Topic Tuesday we’ll be sharing some of those findings along with strategies that couples have developed to help them deal with the changes they faced.

Please join SANE Help Centre Manager @suzanne for a real and honest discussion about sex, physical intimacy and the connection with our mental health.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

107 REPLIES 107

Re: Topic Tuesday // Sexuality and intimacy // Tues 24 July, 7pm AEDT

Welcome everyone to tonight’s conversation about the impact of mental health concerns on sex and (non-sexual) physical intimacy. 

Last year I was invited to take part in a conference panel about sex and intimacy and its relationship with mental illness.  I developed an online survey in the lead up to the conference thinking that it would be brilliant if about 50 people completed.  I was delighted when over 2000 took the time to share their thoughts and experiences.  It certainly made us realise at SANE how few opportunities there are to talk about this topic and how little easily accessible support and information is out there. 

So today I want to give you a chance to talk about your experiences and concerns.  And also to share with you some of the survey responses.  Particularly all the amazing ideas and suggestions that people shared:  Real life experience and real-life solutions.  And that’s really what the forums are all about.

We want to have an open and honest conversation.  But just a reminder about sticking to our forum guidelines and avoiding anything too graphic Smiley Happy

So, to kick us off - what would people like to gain from this discussion?  Is it simply sharing?  Or are you hoping for some stragies?

learn about strategies in overcoming difficulties in physical intimacy with a mental illness

Both @suzanne Smiley Very Happy

I am wondering if it is healthy to have a sexual relationship if either or both of the participants are mentally unstable . I am aware that Areyevedic Medicine ( Vedic Medicine ) believes that abstinance is necessary for a mentally sick person . What are your thoughts ?

Please excuse my poor spelling there .

Before I start sharing some of the info, I'd like to welcome @Klay @MiaMark @Former-Member @BVSW @LadyLover62 @MissHellFire @jackbox40 @outlander @mmikkemik @Morticia @BlueBay @Shaz51 @Shakeelah25 @Murmurs @Sarcastrophe @gopals1 @E_P_M  and everyone else who would like to join us!

aww thanks! ❤️

Hello @gopals1, @suzanne, @Shakeelah25 

I think touch is very important, sitting together, holding hands xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126