Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What does recovery mean to you? // 17 Oct. 7pm AEDT

Cheers for the tag @Lauz and this is an interesting topic. The word 'recovery' is obscure and piquet and tho I agree with the last statement a 'waaay' back there. I also find it confronting and it upsets me. Because I admit to myself I am unwell and not an able bodied person. I think I confuse 'recovery' as a chronic or a long term illness that I have and I need to be fixed. At one time I thought the doctors were going to fix me. No one said they would fix me. I just thought that. But also? no one told me it was long term, chronic and can be debilitating. I dont think they know that either but hello? I'm still chronic 20 something years later. 'Recovery' seems to shift the responsibility on to me to get well and be able bodied. 'Recovery' also can give me options, choices and direction I want to go. I think its a two-sided coin. Oh no..I'm upset now 😞 I knew that would happen ...awww

Defining it is difficult as I think recovery is unique to each individual. Personally recovery to me is a journey that gradually brings about the ability to engage within the community, to be at peace with oneself, to be able to participate in activities such as sport or work and to accept any changes life may have bought and adapt to them. Obtaining a sense of contentment with ones self !

My 20yr old daughter sustained a severe TBI two years ago. She was not expected to live but she's a warrior and after 4 months in hospital learning to walk, talk,eat all over again her recovery is nothing short of miraculous. Physically she has a slight limp so looks "fine" but neuro fatigue, heightened emotions, instability in moods etc will be a life long journey. Recovery is a process...for some its a matter of healing bones so is a short process for others like my daughter recovery is a life long process. Will she ever fully recover..no! The word recovery means returning to a previous state yet I use it as a term in describing my daughter's journey. She's already studying at college and obtaining awesome grades so cognitively recovery in that area of her life has progressed at a faster rate than emotional recovery. I have come to the conclusion that recovery much like life is a journey not a destination and for some it is a life long journey. Its finding self contentment and peace on that journey that is key.

I am sorry I missed this.  Most Tuesday nights I am at choir practice.  If I ever join in ON TIME

it is because I am "wagging" choir ... lol.

So many good points were raised.

@Lauz

Stickers for self care were cute.

A lot depends on what is going on for me the time. 

I can engage with some words and ideas positively, but if I very stretched and vulnerable I can get triggered, even if the concept is meant to be a positive one.

I dunno about that word 'recovery'. It tells me that i may return to a normal healthy mind or gain something I've lost. It already says 'I am not in the slotted box' lol I am out of it. I am and so? I will not be like my siblings or my two close friends. I switch topic's when I talk, jump conversations and ask others at work if I put meat out of the freezer. No one is judging me here I knooww...prehaps 'recovery' is self-determined. There we go?? self-determined ..what's another big word..I will google.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126