Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

DaveH
New Contributor

Hairdressing for my elderly dementia wife

I am trying to find a mobile hairdresser who services my area. Google searches are hopeless.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hairdressing for my elderly dementia wife port melbourne

hi @DaveH and welcome

Social media outlets would probably be your best bet. many hair dressers although dont generally do home visits may offer to do home visits for the elderly or disabled.

does your wife have access to support services? sometimes the home care teams offer hair dressing services as well

There are a number of mobile hairdressers in the Melbourne area but they are either wedding or event based or not servicing my area. We have level 4 aged care support but the case manager (nor those in my carer support group) has never had the need, probably because hairdressing is not a service that is covered by the aged care package.

That is quite tough @DaveH

Perhaps contact them any find out anyway. Some may do haircuts for elderly as well.
If you have access to social media perhap go into a couple of your local community Facebook pages and ask on there if anyone is willing to come out.
It’s hard when services are lacking, many people can’t leave their homes or find it hard to leave their homes. Hairdressing and personal care type activities should be on the aged care packages I think

Hey @DaveH , I just wanted to reach out and firstly welcome you to the forums.

Thank you for posting. To be honest, I'd never even considered mobile hairdressers and how they play a part in the lives of many people. Now that I think about it, it is really a necessity, and it is so unfortunate that there are not more services in this space.

I should also flag, that because we are an anonymous site, we are not able to provide direct links to people/services. We have also had to remove the suburb you are in as it may compromise your anonymity. You can read our community guidelines here: https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage/title/community-guidelines

All the best with looking for an appropriate service. Have you considered going into or phoning local hairdressers and then asking if they would be willing to come out?

Re: Hairdressing for my elderly dementia wife

The community connector 'Nextdoor' is a good source for finding service providers. i suggest you join, if not already a member, and throw out a request.

Also, a friend of mine did mobile hairdressing. Her clients were in aged care, rehab hospitals, etc. but she added individual clients as they went home. You may have success through contacting a local rehab hospital or such.

All the best!

Re: Hairdressing for my elderly dementia wife

Hey @DaveH ,

You may be interested in the post above about an organisation that may be able to help.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126