Re: Topic Tuesday // Motivation // Tues 14 Aug, 7pm AEDT

Welcome everyone!

When I sometimes find the opportunity to talk about an interest (or hobby) of mine -

That reignites my passion (& motivation) for it.

eg when I'm able to talk about my birds, or plants, etc.

I have no opportunities to express those interests "face to face" (in person) with anyone.

So the forum discussions have been helpful - as my only means of expression for those interests (or passions).

Adge

Connectedness is a good one @Adge and noticing that you can get that from just being outside and having a smile from a stranger - does that help motivate you towards your tasks or goals?

Welcome @MDT and @Mae88! Good tips there on the habit journal. Do you find using a journal helps keep you on track and increase your feeling of achievement?

Starting small with things you enjoy (or once enjoyed) and building up is how I am presently getting motivated to get back to work. It means working on both my physical stamina as well as mental stamina. They, to me, go hand-in-hand and I need to be motivated to work on both to achieve my goal. That means starting with exercise again in small doses and gradually building up the sessions I do each week - the next step is getting back to work in a small capacity and slowly building up the time I am there - I am motivated to do that but unsure of how that will be received by work itself - so that is a stumbling block at the moment.

I find that reminding myself "it could be worse" also helps too

To be specific, my sister takes about 7 types of medication and recently was in hospital because of her heart. She now takes meds for that too.

I guess also reading and hearing other people's experience can ground you in your own experiences. So it can remove a lot of the reservation or anxieties I might have about being motivated to do certain things.

Speaking of which I am going to a school tomorrow to share my story of MH. I am motivated to do that because it might mean someone looks for help later in life. It's still a hard task though.

@Former-Member sort of, I have just started and they say put it in your calendar. Have a good reason why and a celebration after 66 days. I guess mine is to lose weight, but I am an emotional eater, and find it hard to get up, want to exercise. But the journal does give good tips to stay on track and find triggers

Yes @Former-Member Finding ways to feel connected with people (easier said than done) - makes me feel better about myself.

Then my motivation goes way up (even if momentarily).

It often carries on into a whole string of tasks (actions), that I may not have done otherwise.

Adge

True, when I was in hospital not long ago, i think one of the psych was giving us in group session, the talk about the worry hour, to get rid of the worry, etc. And also a list of 1 or 2 things to achieve per day. There are heaps of resources on line to help with motivation, emotions, how it all works, and because, we are all here, I think, we’re giving it a shot. So yeah, maybe 1 single goal a week, depending on your state, condition, context, recovery etc..dunno, just a thought

Wow! There are some really fabulous ideas here everyone! I'm going to try to summarise them quickly for us all to be able to reflect on later (sorry if I missed any!) :

• mantra's 
  • reminding yourself of previous successes
  • talking about a passion that ignites your interest
  • gratitude diary
  • self care reminders
  • exercise
  • working on stamina by going at small incriments

And here are a few other ideas that might be helpful:

• Create an inspiration board -a visual cue that you can keep on your wall or pull out when you need reminding. This can also be a fun activity to do to get some motivational energy brewing!
  • Create a personal welllness plan 
  • Write you values down each morning – like a positive affirmation
  • Share your inspirations/passions with a friend so they can remind you when you feel a bit off
  • Create a tool kit that hold things in it that spark your joys and passions and reconnect you to your values 
  • Make a playlist of songs that inspire you
  • Write yourself a note in the evening, detailing how you want to feel tomorrow. Read it when you wake up. Set your intention

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126