Re: Topic Tuesday // Motivation // Tues 14 Aug, 7pm AEDT

I like colouring in my To Do lists - that makes each task seem smaller (more manageable), & each thing stands out.

Then I tick each one off, as I go.

That helps me with motivation.

Adge

I guess there are many different ways we can consider or interpret our thoughts and feelings @Gpro - finding ways to understand and be aware of what those feelings can be tricky to navigate. It can be about noticing what is stopping you from taking part in an activity for instance. It's good that you are continuing to explore this with your therapist too! 

Re: BuRe: Topic Tuesday // Motivation // Tues 14 Aug, 7pm AEDT

@Former-Member Sometimes. But I think I’m hard on myself because I want to do more but get angry with myself. My problem is staying motivated. I’ll go fir a walk one day and then stop. I don’t continue. It’s teally frustrating. 

@Adge this is a very useful approach. I like what you have mentioned here about the fact that it only works if you do allow the pause to happen. Otherwise you can get caught up in needing to get it all done. Quite similar to what @BlueBay mentioned as well. 

That end goal stays in our mind as the focus perhaps? So maybe it is about trying to make the small task the big goal? What do you try to do to make sure you take those pauses @Adge

I'm enjoying the ideas around colouring your task lists as well everyone - sounds like nice visual cues like this help us feel that sense of achievement or adjust the way we see how much we have left to do so it isn't as overwhelming!

I find I have to break the big goal down or its too big

I try to remind myself that by pausing (taking a break) I am practicing "self-care".

Whereas to keep pushing myself (in a victimising way) - pushes the "panic button", & is likely to trigger dissociation or hyper-vigilance.

That's the opposite of self-care.

Unfortunately, sometimes I still keep on pushing myself - although my psychologist reminds me that that's not very healthy (or doesn't work very well for me).

Adge

Re: BuRe: Topic Tuesday // Motivation // Tues 14 Aug, 7pm AEDT

What a wonderful quote!  For me, right now, the biggest challenge of my day is motivating myself to get out of bed, getting dressed and getting myself where I need to be, whether it's work or Uni.  When I'm feeling like that I try to tell myself that the feeling will pass and I'll feel better and more motivated once I'm up (I really do feel better once I'm up, but it doesn't always seem that way from under the doona) 🙂

PurposeIsNotTheThingYouDo.jpgcore-values.jpg

Another way to feel better motivated is to know what drives us. It’s much easier to want to do something you care about or you feel joy or connection with. This is understanding our values and inspirations. They can be anything from a family member or pet that keeps you feeling good, to a hobby like painting or the way in which you want to live life – like knowing that you have a value of being kind or a value of respect and that keeps you feeling inspired and driven to move forward in daily tasks.

Sometimes we can struggle to find or remember our values/passions/inspirations when we are feeling unmotivated - does anyone have any tips or ideas on ways to remind yourself of these when you feel unwell?

@Former-Member I don’t know. I need some tips on this one. 

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126