Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Just checking in.

I have been proactive this year in organising dinner this week - stops all the questions and dramas that usually happen around this time of year @CheerBear I am kind of looking forward mto it - it will hopefully be at a restaurant I really like (need to book it tomorrow) If we can't go there I will try somewhere else but hoping to get in as we will go early so Mum and Dad (and myself) can get home early.

You must have very mixed feelings about seeing this person tonight. I can imagine there will be a whole bunch of emotions going on for you. Just take it as it comes CB and if he isn't listening to you then he can leave ...you have to look after yourself and your decision was entirely the right one for you to make for yourself and your LF - if he can't see that then he is not looking out for you or your health and wellbeing at all. I do understand his point of view but I would not condone him treating you badly and not listening to you Hon - that is totally unacceptable and I hope he is a little more affable tonight.

Let us know how it goes and if you need support them tag me CB - here for you my super special Cheerbear Heart

Sending you lots of love and hugs tonight @CheerBear and hoping it is all going okay for you Hon Heart

Hi @Teej, thanks for your message about my relationship feelings at the moment. No reason to apologise for anything, as usual. I talked about it just as much as was helpful, and received support, and didn't need any more at that time. In the time since, it's all seemed kind of silly again, and not a worry. But it does rear up and bug me on a fairly regular basis. Thanks for recognising the complexity of things with it.

The thing that annoys me the most is the crush. I really don't want to have it, since it's not something I want to pursue, but still it keeps taking over my mind sometimes, an  intermittent obsession. In the past this kind of thing has actually seemed linked to my mental illness. When I was manic, I was once 'in love' for an extended period with three people at once, and attracted and acting out sexually with many others.

Even when not manic, in almost every relationship I've ever had in my life, I've had a crush on someone else at some point, sometimes more than one person. I've also been unfaithful in relationships in the past because of these hotted-up, obsessive feelings, resulting sometimes in short-lived, damaging-to-everyone affairs. Sometimes the acting out part of these things has been spectacular and catastrophic. My history with this stuff is part of the reason for my bipolar diagnosis.

None of this has been a part of my life for a long, long time, so this one cropping up now is really unwelcome. It relates to someone I only see occasionally really, which makes it easier to deal with, as the 'heat' of my mind gets time to recover in between encounters and I return to sensible once more.

Funny thing is I barely fantasise that much about sex with this person, the idea actually scares the sh*t out me to be honest. It's more like some sort of intense longing for closeness. We have had a kind of closeness over time, but it's overly intense in some way for me, and maybe for them too. Without speaking about it, it seems clear we both want to continue this closeness and consider each other friends. But it's awkward and nerve-wracking. I really don't like the overly-intense confusing feelings in me. I am also suspicious of these feelings, for reasons of the past mentioned above.

Part of me thinks that my whole history of these kinds of feelings, in inappropriate or kind of hopeless situations, is that I don't really know how to be close to people I admire or like in a huge way, other than interpret it sexually. In this current time of my life, I think it's also because I've been celibate for a long time and wonder about how long that will continue in my life, and whether I'm okay with it. Celibate may not be quite the right word, as I do have an okay sexual relationship with myself (excuse the honesty!)

And frankly when it comes down to it, I've often felt f*ed up in sexual ways (so to speak). There's always been trouble in that arena of life for me. I'm an oddball, even there. Not participating is really a big relief in lots of ways, and seems to be more conducive to relative stability in me. 

Well, that was a spill! Thanks, @Teej, for inspiring it. It does seem to help to express some of this here, and try to get my head around it.

Thanks for your thoughts and the encouragement last night @Zoe7. Seeing him went OK. We were kind to each other and there wasn't any arguing or big tension (that I could feel at least). I was hit with sads and guilt which I didnt like, but that was me doing that to myself last night. He's lovely though the effect of being around him can feel like noise taking up space in an already overcrowded head of mine. It and us feel complicated, even more now following what we've just been through, and I really want and probably really need simple 😏. I will keep working on it (or not) as I need though.

Again thanks for your thoughts Zoe. I wanted to reply this morning, mostly to say I'm Ok enough after it and to wish you the best with your day today. And give you these ❤🧡💚

Morning @Mazarita. Wondering how your night was and hoping you had some sleep. I slept in today and was up just after 5 which is a nice change.

Sending you lots of love for your situation. It sounds very complex also. There's a lot I can relate to in your honest, open post and I have heaps of respect and appreciation for your sharing and the trickyness of your experiences. Sex and intimacy is one of those things for me, and I imagine many of us, that I find can be difficult to work out and can leave me quite jumbled up. Sometimes/often I think I'd be better off without it (without involving another person in it). Then a nice smelling person comes into my life and that goes out the window! I wish it was all a bit easier for us all. I really enjoy reading your ponderings and reflections Maz and hope you're feeling OK after your spill.

❤ to you and hope the morning has started/is about to start well for you.

So glad it went okay @CheerBear and fully understand your distant feelings now. Sometimes these things pull us together and other times push us apart - you know yourself and what you want/need so follow your heart in this one Hon.

Thanks for the well wishes for today - I am organised as far as I can be but need to do somephotocopyng when I get to work - need to get myself up and ready soon.

Thanks @Zoe7 😊 I think this is definitely one of those things that can push apart or pull together for many people. Time will tell there.

Hoping for a smooth morning for you. I'm not surprised you're organised. Sounds like that one is another you do well. Looking forward to hearing how your day goes if/when you share❤

Good morning, @CheerBear. Went back to bed after that spill post and slept through until just recently. Waited for C to leave this morning too before coming back online. Him not being awake and present was part of why I wrote that post at that time, in the middle of the night. Too hard to do when he is around, as you might imagine. Glad to hear you got more sleep this morning too.

A relief to hear your get together with friend went okay. Hugs for the sads and the guilts. I can see how your relationship is more complicated now, and that you might feel unsure how to proceed with it from here, or if you want to.

For what it's worth, I'm still good friends (at a distance) with my first boyfriend, who was involved in the first termination. The relationship continued smoothly afterwards, as he was completely supportive, in agreement and on board. There was really hardly a moment of regret there for me, or for him as far as I could see. He now has two children with his long time partner, and loves them so much. He tears up when talking about them quite often. It's one of the things I loved about him, that way he had of tearing up with emotion.

As you know, C was the person involved in the second. As I've mentioned before, it was more difficult with C, who had been happy about the possible arrival, and didn't want to talk about it afterwards. He was very supportive of it as my choice, and helped me with the process of making it happen. But afterwards needed to process it in his own head, which I fully understood, even though I felt very alone with the aftermath at the time.

I have felt some guilt over the years about him never having had children as a result. But he did say quite cheerfully to me one time, 'next life'. He's never said a word indicating regret over it really. He is good at working through things in his head, as it happens. It also seems like poetic justice of a good kind, that he has had almost a decade now working in childcare, where the children love him, and he gets to look after and be part of the development of so many. The stories he brings home from the centre about the kids are so heart warming.

All of this is to say that it's possible to work out these relationships after an event like that, if you both want to. I understand and fully support you in whatever way you (or he) decide to go with it from here. As you can tell from my spill post, I do get how difficult 'complicated' can be, and I have no thoughts about what you 'should' do either way. Will just be here as you feel like talking about it, as things go on.

Thanks for replying to that spill post this morning. I would have found it a hard if there had been no reply when I woke, even though the rational part of me knows it's still early so it wouldn't have been an indication of anything really. But I really appreciate your taking the time to think it through with me, even when it might have been weird reading all that on first waking!

I was kind of aware it might be a strange post to wake up to, but needed to post it at that time, for the reasons I said above. Actually I didn't even intend to write all that, it just came out in response to @Teej's post. That quiet late night time just seemed to facilitate the expression.

I was also aware I myself might feel weird about it on waking again later. I do a little, but mostly am grateful this space has opened up here, where I can start to talk about what's going on with me on this level at this time. I've been living with it on my own for over a year now. It's also a relief to be able to write about my whole history with this stuff in the process, which is something I don't get to do properly in real life. Most people don't seem to want to engage with me on the subject of my past nymphomania. Funny about that, lol!

Anyway, that's more than enough on that subject again for now. Have a GP appointment today. My regular is away so I'm seeing someone else. Have to do it that way, as my driver's licence is up for renewal in six days, and I feel I now need to declare to them about my bipolar and medications for it, which involves paperwork from the doctor.

Even though I don't have a car, and have no desire to drive at this time, I'd still like to hold onto my licence if possible. I would still drive in an emergency, as once happened when C had a big bloody bang on his head in the shower one night, and needed immediate attention. Want to talk to the GP about some other issues too, including the fact that I'm itching all over the place now that I've stopped the antihistamine, which was contributing to the severe dryness in mouth, eyes and nose (along with possibly both of the other two of my psych meds). Still dry there but it may have got a bit better since stopping that med. Complication even there with my body and meds just now. My name is complex at the moment!

Wishing good things for this day to everyone passing through here. Heart

I will let you know how it all goes today @CheerBear We have our meeting with the HR person after school so there should be a bit to share. I am hoping that meeting goes much better than the last one but you never know with these things. Fingers crossed for it all today for both of us Hon Heart

Morning @Mazarita@Zoe7@CheerBear

goodluck Zoe. I’ll be thinking of you.

Maz I just woke up and will respond (positively 😊) after coffee

CB soooooo pleased last night went ok for you. 

Just wanted ted to get in quickly while brain fires up 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126