Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Navigating Centrelink Payments

yes i think that would help as well  @Rhye  re advocates  Thanks

Hi @MDT @Rhye @Daisydreamer @TAB 

This is so hard , centrelink payments have been awful for me to access and I'm thinking of going on the dsp just to take the stress off

I've had difficulty 

1. Getting through to centrelink on the number provided, which sometimes won't connect if they are too busy and tells u to try again later
  2. Not making a jobseeker appointment I was told about a day before, and then the jobsekker place went rogue and cut off my payments
  3. Getting in all my docs to centrelink on time

It's a very stressful process

I've found them pretty helpful but the timing and Getting through was so hard.

Hi there @EternalFlower,

It is a really stressful process isn't it. Sometimes jumping through the hoops can feel like a full time job, and when we're not feeling our best it makes things really tough.

One of the little tips I've used is to call the Centrelink phone number right on 8am (that's usually the time the phone line opens). I do mean right on it though – I've actually set an alarm on my phone for 7:50am to remind myself. Usually that way you only wait 10-15mins max, unlike when you call at peak times, such as midday.

I dont ever call them , I go in when not busy like just after opening or couple hours before closing @Eternal flower
There are good groups on fb re dsp and Centrelink

Docs are easy if you have mygov and a computer @EternalFlower
Always get receipts. I would get help re DSP lots weird rules plus very picky. They do Not want people to be on it.

Hi @Daisydreamer 

I was put on jobsearch last year when I lost my job and applied for a health care card.  I had to look for 20 jobs in a month for i thought was a lot at my age (50's).  I was struggling with the fact that i was sacked during Covid and my mental health and then had Centrelink behind my back. 

My GP became involved and filled out a medical certificate to give me 3 months reprieve to not to look for work.  i still got to keep my health care card but was exempt for looking for work.

Every 3 months he fills out a form and i scan it to them.

I don't get much payment from Centrelink as it is based on my husband's wage and he is just over the threshold. 

it is easier now that i use the centrelink app; makes life a bit easier.

Hi @Rhye that is smart

One cheat I did was call the complaints number when desperate, about 10 min wait, I think they are cracking cracking on this, but she solved the problem and reinstated my payments

I was so distressed recently moreso the job provider than centrelink, are ruthless

Not only did they cut off my payments they were aggressive.

I took breaths and wished them a good day....nor worth the trouble

But I try avoid getting into anything with them, they were so harsh and aggressive.

Hi @BlueBay,

I am really glad to hear that your doctor was so supportive and understood that applying for 20 jobs a week at that time wasn't helpful. The medical exemption is a good point that other members here might find helpful to know too- I am sure there are others in a similar boat!

The Centrelink app certainly makes it easier, and in these covid times, reduces the amount of time needed in person to access important payments and support. 

I am so sorry to hear how they communicated with you @EternalFlower Heart Not at all the response anyone needs when trying to access support Heart

thank you @Daisydreamer , they can be a bit aggressive for my liking.

I was able to successfully get exempt from working more than 8 hours p,w, but it was not an easy process and took a toll, I do get anxious over those interactions

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126