Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tired11
New Contributor

Alone in the otback

I'm new here. Not sure if I'm doing this right. I feel so alone. Surrounded by my teenagers and husband and no friends or anyone to speak to.  I'm trapped in this place. They are better off without me. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Alone in the otback

Hi @Tired11
Welcome to the forums 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing this. I can hear how much you are holding. Your feelings and thoughts are welcome here, please know we are here for you 💛

Please have a look at your emails, we have sent an email to you to check in with how you are going 🙂

fluffylight x

Hey @Tired11 Checking in with you as someone who also lives in a regional area and sometimes find this to be isolating.

Would you like to chat further this evening about what is happening for you tonight?

oh, dear...

Hi there @Tired11 

OK, well thanks for sharing. It's encouraging that you are not yet giving up. Yeah... 

Growing up in the mallee with barely a dozen houses in the nearest village, and later living entirely alone there with just my dog for a number of years, I kind of know what it can be like... that kind of isolation. 

I would go on holiday to a mates house for two weeks and quietly celebrate the sound of morning traffic and the garbage truck crashing into my sleep. Any sign of human life was a welcome change. The more it bustled the better!

Funny thing was, I would encounter new people and they would beg me to tell them how to get what I had? 

"What do I have?" I wondered.

"Peace!" they'd say, as if I were completely ignorant of myself.

And, ofcourse; I was completely ignorant of myself 😆

Oh boy! If only they could see me now ... 

Anyway... I want to say welcome to the forums. But please remember: the only thing that stays the same is change itself. 

And I reckon, as change becomes your teenagers they'll be counting on mum to be part of that picture, too. 🙏

Hey @Tired11 Thank you for reaching out

When I was 5 years old I lived in Melbourne with my parents and my brothers. We were close to all my relatives and we had a house, things were looking up for my mum who had been a SAHM for the past 10 years and she was ready to go and study and jump back into the workforce. Then my dad lost his job and he had to look further afield. We ended up relocating to a small town in the middle of NSW. We knew no one and had no history with the place. We were outsiders. My mum ended up getting depression, she hated it there. She had no real friends. I think she desperately wanted us kids to make good friends so she could be friends with their mums, but they didn't include her. I was only a child at the time, but I know it was a dark time for her. That was 25 years ago and we've moved on but I wouldn't say that it didn't have an impact on our lives.

I don't know your circumstances as to why you are living in this place. Small towns in the outback can be terribly isolating. Have you sought any professional help? I think my mum ended up going to the doctor and was on antidepressants for a short time until she adjusted. I know it's really hard when you don't have any friends. I just want to say that I understand how hard it is for you and I see that you are struggling. You are not alone - we are here for you and you can come here any time to talk. Your family loves you and while it might not seem like it, you matter to them. You also matter to us (even though we are strangers). I understand what it's like to feel alone and how much it hurts and I don't want you to feel that. You deserve to be here and you deserve help.

I encourage you to talk to someone you trust and maybe see if you are able to get an appointment with a GP who can refer you on to further support. Otherwise there is also SANE’s team of trained staff and volunteers provide free support, information, and resources. Call 1800 187 263

Thinking of you x

@Tired11 

Welcome to the forum.

I have seen books and plays about Aussie outback experiences.  Not for cissies. Aye.

Love what @Kyle1 wrote to you.  

Finding some connection and some occupation to manage your time is important.  You are also approaching the empty nest times, but they can also be great Autumn years.  What have been your iinterests, or new interest you would like to begin?

Gently Bently

Apple

I am sorry you are feeling like this. What do you want in your life may I ask? I understand the feelings you have but you do have support here who know how you feel. I’m in poo place but I’m here to talk if you need it. Take care. 

Hey @Tired11 , I believe the post above from @Queenb72 is for you?

@Tired11 Just checking in to see how you're going tonight? Here until 10pm if you would like some online company 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126