Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Elle5
New Contributor

Any advice managing depression

I am experiencing a high stress complex overwhelming situation. I have progressively been getting worse. With taking more and more days off work and can’t get out of bed. Anyone experiencing depression have a tips strategies or skills to help turn things around. I am at a real low point that I can’t seem to get out of. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Any advice managing depression

Hey @Elle5 ,

I'm sorry to hear you are faced with depression that is getting worse. That sounds so hard in that everything takes so much energy. 

I have to say I was in that space in the past. I think I spent years under the blanket and couldn't get out to do anything. 

To be honest, I think the right anti-depressant was a lifesaver. It helped me get out of bed so that I could face therapy and learn and develop the skills to manage and recover.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi @Elle5 

I have depression too.

There are times when I cannot get out of bed and keep hidden in my room. There is nothing wrong with that, we all have those moments.

When it starts interfering with our lives it is probably the time when I need professional help. I agree with @tyme that the right anti depressant has helped a lot. Also being able to talk to others that can relate to what I am going through also helps.

Do you have any professional support in place?

The other thing I do is write a list of things I need to accomplish that day. They don't have to be big goals either. It can be a simple as brushing my teeth or taking a shower or even just having some breakfast/lunch. I don't always achieve my goals but I at least try and tick one thing off the list. It makes me feel even a little bit of pride.

Hi Elle5, sorry to hear your having a hard time. Ive been there. I let my lawn grow about 3 feet high once because It was too much to do the mowing. The medical advice I got at the time was to do three things, exercise, medication and therapy and it worked. I also tried just about everything I could do. I tried aromatherapy, vitamins like Curcumin and ginger, cocoa, stayed off sugar, used crystals, positive music and meditation. Read alot of health websites and books. I agree with what other people are saying about small victories. Succeed at the small things and larger things will follow. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his idea about a vision helped me aswell I found planning for the future got me motivated and allowed me to concentrate my effort on things I really wanted. I still dont do the mowing but I save some money and pay someone else to do it and I feel great about it:) Its not easy, but if you are determined, you will overcome it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126