Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ZephoiusSabre
New Contributor

Been going through some depression/anxiety for some time now

Hi all,

I’m new to spaces like this, I apologise for the length of this but there’s alot to unpack. But for the last few years I’ve been going through some very hard times with regards to mental health. Probably started in one of the covid lockdown years but I found myself really reclusive and alone quite a lot. During this time I picked up bad habits which seemingly have gotten worst the last 12 months. During my childhood I was never diagnosed but I am fully aware that I had gone through spells of high anxiety and depression. I actually got out of this funk when I went to do a course at University, I think that was just a great time where I didn’t have things happen that would impact my mental health. Anyways after I graduated from my course I seemingly had spells of depression and anxiety etc.. and ended up just falling flat out fatigued from my University line of work. Combine the with the lockdowns a few years back and not really interacting with alot of my friends in person I would lose out on alot of social interaction I would be craving. The last few years as well I have picked up a really bad sports betting/horse betting habit, to the fact I’ve wasted tons of money and had months I’ve been really struggling for cash. I flat out love sport, but my god the amount of sports betting promotion you see is so hard to avoid not having a go on the punt. And obviously as I’ve dealt with depression and these low spells I’m not exactly thinking in a positive mindset and so if I lose on these activities I just become more and more isolated. I do my best to try and flat out take breaks from gambling but it’s so hard. I can get to 7 or 14 days then bang I’ll see some fancy promotion 3 weeks into my time away and I’m hooked again. I tend to get very anxiety heavy during a lot of times I’m in public with lots of people and lots of things are happening. I’ve had anxiety attacks occasionally. I’m a very quiet person in real life, and I really struggle to interact with most people, other than just casual chats so a lot of my friends have no idea of the troubles I’ve dealt with and it’s really hard for me to say reach out and open up, as I don’t generally feel all the time welcome in that sense. There’s also a lot of fear as well with that. So many times I want to open up to people I know but then I just get cold feet completely with the fear of judgement. I have times I wake up and automatically in a terrible mood for the day and I just feel so worthless and so undersupported. I find myself at times when I’m in a depressive state or dealing with bouts of anxiety I am really hard to speak to like coworkers I work with I might just seem uninterested and not happy, and I don’t mean to be like that. It’s just hard to remain positive in a facade. I’m just looking for some feedback or help. 

Even if nobody replies to this. I am happy to post something like this on an anonymous forum. Thank you for taking the time to read this reply. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Been going through some depression/anxiety for some time now

That really sucks. Must be tough! Takes a bunch of courage to write that. I have been in AA for 28 years. They talk about rock bottoms. When someone says .... I can't do this ... I need help. Rock bottom. Have you heard of GA (gamblers Anonymous). Whatever you do be kind to yourself. Your worth it.
I logged on tonite as feeling overwhelmed. Have been diagnosed few months back with CPSTD after 2 major surgeries /seperation from wife after 20 years who for years was emotional abusing me but I never clicked. I hurt myself yesterday lifting something and CSPTD symptoms have gone king kong on me. I really get how you feel about having no control over your Grambling and Anxiety etc. What I really hate is how people look at me when not well. I may be talking out my backside but I believe the biggest thing I can do is walk through life with a positive attitude. I may have to life with this c rap but that doesn't mean I can't be a bad ass in life. I will ask for help and be curious to how I can change. If I walk through life as a bad ass mother .... I will become this. It takes courage to write openly. I believe in you. Become a bad ass ... seek help .... be kind to your self  .. and walk with your head high!

Hi and welcome, @ZephoiusSabre  and @Zooman  🙂

I'm sorry you both feel overwhelmed and unsupported 😢

I'm wondering what sort of professional support you both have?  Like a counsellor, meds, psychologist or psychiatrist?

An important forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

I hope you find the forums supportive...

Hi
    Thank you for asking. Yes c a psychologist who specializes in csptd and take meds. Early days for me really. I had an operation last sep for incaserated hernia and it got infected and another op . etc etc etc was very crap. Have a lovely big scar from ribs to groin which is causing me a bunch pain. I pulled a hip muscle on Sat and every time I move is pinging nerves along the scar. So....

of to Doc's today again :face_with_rolling_eyes:😁The pain is setting of my CPSTD. Is hard work at moment.

Hi @ZephoiusSabre and @Zooman and welcome!

Gosh @Zooman that hernia sounds so painful.

I hope you both find some comfort and support here. It's a great place to interact with people who really understand what it's like to live with MH issues.

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126