Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Aussiealways
Casual Contributor

Feel Alone

I have suffered with bouts of episodical depression since 2009. The bouts are stubborn. No one I meet has experienced this. Connect socially, walk, but it hangs on. Overcame last bout by doing some things I enjoy. Any tips would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
Krishna
Senior Contributor

Re: Feel Alone

Hi @Aussiealways  sorry to read of these episodes you experience. What are the things you enjoy that got you through in the past. I suffer from bouts of depression and have difficulty lifting myself out of the hole. What always seems to help me the most is swimming. Either ocean or pool. Water is so soothing for me and leaves me with a sense of accomplishment for making the effort to drag myself there and take the plunge. I also don’t give myself a hard time mentally when I’m down. I rest but make sure I eat well and manage the smallest of tasks and remind myself that this too shall pass 🙏❤️

Hey @Aussiealways ,

Great to have you with us. Thank you for sharing a little about yourself. MH is certainly a journey. I had years of depression and anxiety. Not the most pleasant part of my life, but one I have learnt much from.

Hope to see you around more often.

Thankyou yes it is getting warm enough to swim now. I am blessed with beach close to my home & looking forward to getting back in the water. I am at my wits end with this depression as I smoke a lot when I have it & this worries me

Hi @Aussiealways  Just a tip when replying to someone. Type @ and a drop down list will appear and you just click on the persons name. They’ll get a notification of your reply. Gosh I wish I was closer to the ocean. It’s my happy place and an hours drive for me but we’ll worth the journey. I went weekly all through Winter this year just to do a cold water plunge which certainly reminds you you’re alive. I gave up smoking 2 years ago this December after a 40 year habit and yes I too used to smoke more when I was depressed. I’ve really noticed how much time I spent smoking now that I don’t and haven’t really found a substitute for that time yet. Very frustrating at times not really knowing what to do with myself. Those are the times I’ll just sit and do a short breathing meditation and give myself permission to just be. Enjoy getting back into the ocean xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126