Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MissMuffet
Peer Guide

Identifying as disabled

This week has been a big one. Last Sunday was International Day of People with Disability. I finally decided to identify myself as having a disability. Long story short, I ended up being the "face" of my company for the day because they asked me to do an interview and now everyone knows... I have never felt I "deserve" to call myself disabled and I feel like an imposter but combining my chronic migraines, chronic fatigue and chronic depression, I also can't do what everyone without a disability can. So I suppose this is the beginning of my journey of self acceptance. Long way to go but gotta start somewhere.

Having said that, happy IDPWD and to all of you with visible and invisible, physical and mental, neurodevelopmental, cognitive, sensory, neurological, psychiatric, intellectual, congenital and acquired, energy and stamina related, physiological and medical, diagnosed and undiagnosed disabilities alike. This is your day to be you - nothing more, nothing less. You can be you as someone with a disability or you can be just you, as your whole perfect self, however you want, not what anyone else wants or expects you to be. You are enough.

Now to go and take my own advice 🙃

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Identifying as disabled

That is awesome 👏 👏 As you said, it's a journey of self acceptance so well done for making that start (in a very big way). Happy IDPWD!

I really like this @MissMuffet  and want to share more but don’t know what words to use. So I’ll just say that it really resonated with me and thank you 💕

Hi @MissMuffet

That sounds like a lot, all at once!  identity can be tricky to navigate and settle into, especially when we might have ideas of what constitutes a particular identity and feeling like we might not perfectly fit that mould. What you're describing sounds to me like disability effects. Identity is a process that can take time, and that's okay 😊. As you've said, you're just at the start. Wishing you all the very best as you continue exploring this part of you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126