Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Crystel
Contributor

Medications

We all have to be on medications it’s a part of our lives now it’s like second nature. I don’t want to be on them but without them my life is unmanageable they keep me sane and well and stop the voices that I would hear if I didn’t take them I keep taking them because I know that I need them they help me sleep and function how does everyone else feel about having to take meds???

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Medications

Very anti- here, @Crystel, instilled in me by my ex-psy, but this is a general question concerning a very broad range of problems. Others will have different opinions.

hanami
Senior Contributor

Hi @Crystel 

I used to be very anti medication. When I was younger I believed the right diet, vitamin supplement could fix different issues. Then my anxiety became worse at various times plus hormones raged inside me giving me horrid PMS. I relented and tried medication. I went through few before getting something that agreed with me but honestly for me it's a game changer. I suffer horrid physical symptoms without medication. I do think much thought has to be taken before going onto medication for MI issues. It's strong stuff and not to be taken lightly. But I'm ok with knowing I'll likely be on it forever. 

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Probably wouldn't be where I am if I had access to medication...I haven't always agreed with medication but when you can't do it on your own, then I think there needs to be an intervention and that sometimes means medication

@Crystel  we’d all love to be medication free in an ideal world (sadly it’s not), but I think we’re very fortunate to have the benefits of medications to make our lives easier & more manageable. You’re aware yourself that your life would be unmanageable without them, so if you don’t suffer from severe side effects why not embrace the fact that we have access to modern medicine that can help make life easier. Each individual must be proactive though in the discussion with his/her medical practitioner as to the best outcome. Best wishes 😃

Ambivalent, but thats me about a lot of things.

Great question @Crystel 

Living with bipolar means I need outside help to manage my brain chemistry. I'm a huge fan of the right medication/s at the right dose. It took a long time and countless difficulties for me to reach this level of acceptance though.

I'm on meds and I wouldn't be able to function without them! That being said, before I was in meds, weed helped me a lot. Unfortunately it's illegal in most places and hard to come by. My meds work, so I'll be sticking to them

@Crystel To be honest, having to take medication makes me feel like a failure but i've tried it without and I just can't function. More than anything I hate that to find the right one it is trial and error and with some they make me feel worse. The fact you have to wait 6 weeks to see if they are going to work adds to the anxiety and disappointment when you find out its not the right one. My anti-depressants work for about 5 years and then I fall off the rails again and back to square one...trial and error. I guess I just feel frustrated that there isn't some way of knowing which will work first time. I'm starting to run out of options as I've tried so many...but that's the only choice we have and that makes me feel sadder.

@Why1969 I don't think you should feel like a failure because you need medication. If you had a broken arm or a physical health condition that needed meds you would most likely be happy to take the medication you need to help you. Same for your brain - the meds can help our brains the same. Medication isn't for everyone of course but I urge you to rethink the 'failure' stigma of it. 

I'm also wondering if you've heard of testing to see which med works best for your genetics. I used to work with older people with mental health issues who would sometimes have this testing to see what med is best. This saved them trying the ones that would most likely not work. 

https://www.sonicgenetics.com.au/our-tests/all-tests/pharmacogenomic-screen/ 

You might find the above info interesting!

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126