Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rockstar
New Contributor

Non acceptances of illness

Going through a phase of non acceptances.

The unknown of what is to come is scary,given there is no cure for Schizoaffective disorder.Having to take medication and having future episodes for the rest of my life isn’t an easy thing to accept.

The symptoms of Schizoaffective Disorder include positive symptoms (hearing voices, unusual beliefs), negative symptoms (apathy, little emotion, poor attention and concentration) and other symptoms such as depression or mania.

The negative symptoms have no cure (not even medication) and I always return to that base level after an event.I am doing everything I can to stay well.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Non acceptance of illness

Hi @Rockstar 

Welcome to the Forums. My name is Hanami and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us.

It sounds pretty tough for you right now to accept your diagnosis. That's completely understandable. It's great you've reached out here. Making connections with others going through similar issues is an important part of acceptance.

If you would like to talk to someone you might want to consider the SANE Support Centre. It is available to support anyone from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday. We have counsellors and peer support workers available to support you via phone (1800 187 263) or webchat. We also have the SANE Guided services which is our new guided service that provides free digital and telehealth services and ongoing tailored support to people over 18 years of age with complex mental health needs and their families and carers SANE Guided Service. Both are free of charge.

Sometimes just talking to someone that is understanding and non-judgemental can really help and of course the SANE forum community is here for anyone 24/7.

Please take care and keep reaching out 

Warm regards,

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126