Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Buayer17
New Contributor

Not catastrophising

Hi, 

Due to many years of sleep deprivation because of an irritable bladder my mental health has declined. I’ve been battling this current episode almost six months. Two new antidepressants were tried with no success and since the 4th December I have gone back to my old antidepressant but it is not working yet. I am trying other things such as swimming. The depression is heavy, I am not capable of all the demands on me. Also I can’t stop catastrophising. I keep thinking of the worse case scenario. One good thing has happened though, my bladder has healed due to 4 weeks of antibiotics. I was hospitalised due to the depression and while in there I gave up coffee so I think that has helped my bladder. I’m getting sleep from 10.30 till around 4.30 but have to take something to get to sleep. I’m considering any other options that might help such as ECT. There are people relying on me to be well so I have guilt on top of the depression that I am not functioning. Pls any one give me some stories of hope. At the moment I’m feeling stuck and it’s a long long day when feeling so depressed. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Not catastrophising

Hey @Buayer17 ,

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and how it has affected your mental health.

I can certainly say you are not alone. I lived with depression for more years than I can remember. In a way, I feel like I've 'lost' those years, and so now I'm making up for it by living an awesome life.

I hopped from anti-depressant to anti-depressant. I hated the fact that I had to take meds. After years of trying, I finally 'gave in' and found the anti-depressant I'm currently on. After being on the anti-depressant, I was then able to actually focus on therapy. Before that, I couldn't' even get out of bed!

Today, I live an incredible life. I can't stop doing things. I just want to go go go go. Life truly can be amazing... I've proved it.

Please take care.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It is encouraging to know there is a path to recovery. I guess I just have to have faith that these antidepressants will start working.

Hi @Buayer17, I had bladder issues earlier this year caused by an antipsychotic and was up many times in the night too, so I can really empathise with you. It’s so disruptive to our sleep and we feel so tired during the day. 

I really hope that things turn around soon and that your antidepressants start working.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126