Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BlueTrane
Senior Contributor

Openly repressed...

Being mentally ill is complicated enough without also having to deal with being LGBTQIA+ in a heteronormative society. And vice versa. Many strides have been made in the right direction, at least regarding marriage equality and general same-sex relationship acceptance. And yet many people still struggle with discrimination daily. But in my case, I have a pretty good support network around me. However, years of social stigma, school bullying, and rejection from family and so-called friends have rendered me such that even now that I am in a position where I can live a reasonably fulfilled life, my own internalised prejudices and religious hangups are preventing me from going out and living my truth. I think I am destined to live a self-imposed lonely existence. IDK, I think I should pursue support for this sort of thing. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Openly repressed...

@BlueTrane  I also am recently discovering how repressed I was. 

@BlueTrane wrote:

IDK, I think I should pursue support for this sort of thing. 

I agree....do you have a counsellor?

I am starting therapy on Friday. This will be a topic that will be addressed. 

I've only just seen your reply, @BlueTrane ... if you tag people using a @ and clicking on their name then they won't miss your reply. How did your first therapy appt go yesterday? 

@NatureLover 

Sorry, I have been offline for a while as I have been unwell. My therapist is on holiday at the moment but she will be due to call me soon, the appointment I mentioned went well, I had made some pretty good progress, but as we all know there is no "happily ever after" with mental illnesses, and a lot can change in a small period of time. It is a daily struggle. That being said what we have discovered is with the ebb and flow, the seesaw of emotions and all that, I rebound and progress fast however I also regress pretty badly when I do. It seems to be my pattern. The important thing is to keep moving forward.

@BlueTrane   I'm glad your therapy appt went well 🙂 I hope they continue to go well...

Sorry you've been ill though. 

It's important for me to share my perspective and emphasize the significance of respectful communication in order to help diminish the stigma associated with mental health issues. While I have the right to express my experiences authentically, I also need to be mindful of how my words may affect others on a larger scale.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126