Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sjb800
Contributor

Persistence

I think we can all agree despite it all we continue to persist with our lives through thick and thin when it comes to mental illnesses. We might not know why we were dealt this type of struggle, or how we will overcome it at times. Sometimes the hard times last for years, but we keep going, all along getting stronger without knowing it. Life gets better, but we never forget the deep despair we felt, that invisible scar it left, that can only be felt, not seen. Mental illnesses can be so unfair and cause so much trauma, but pushing through, persisting and overcoming all that is a credit to us. My first diagnosis was paranoid schizophrenia 15 years ago, depression and anxiety. My current diagnosis are schizoaffective disorder, generalised anxiety disorder and symptoms of complex PTSD. I continue to live my best life despite these mental illnesses, I am stronger than them, this I have learned.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Persistence

Incredible @sjb800 . Persistence and hope are key. I've certainly experienced this in my own life. And when I felt I lost all hope and had no more persistence left in me, the system took me under there wing. 

That's why I'm here today to share my story also. Whatever the system has 'invested' in me, I'm now living to give back to the system. 

Your story is definitely appreciated.

That would have been a challenging journey @sjb800 

I am glad you are living your best life.

Persistence pays off they say ... often we do not know how that will look like, but I do believe it can be powerful.

@tyme Yes, I give full credit to the mental health system too, I did not go through all that alone, I had major support from the government mental health system, I still do 🙂

With that said, it also boils down to me and my willingness to engage with the mental health system. To be proactive in my constant recoveries was what helped the most, and having a support team too just made it more successful. 

@Appleblossom Hello 🙂

Yes, being persistent does pay off and I wont lie, there was many many times I felt I could not go on, that this was bigger than me. But my will to live and make a better life for myself has always been stronger than my mental illnesses. Once you tap into your inner power, there is little that can stop you. I have just spent the last 19 months studying through blood, sweat and tears to gain my qualification as a mental health worker, it was tough and I had to persist through it all, but I made it 🙂  

Congrats on getting your certificate @sjb800 

I have a book called Blood Sweat and Tears about the history of work.

You said "Once you tap into your inner power, there is little that can stop you." I really hope that works for my family and I.

You have met the wonderful @tyme hope you enjoy the forum

Cheers Apple 

@Appleblossom Thank you, there was many times I thought the qualification was beyond me,  but I was determined, for me, and for those I will support in the future 🙂

Cheers!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126