Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Karrie
Contributor

where to begin

I hope I have this right as the place where I can tell my story with all its warts and dramas.  I am in the education field and on top of everything else in my life I am tired.  I have been given a depression, anxiety and stress diagnosis and referred to a psychologist.  When everyone at work started to question my mental health, I had just lost the fourth family member in just under two years.  The last one in May this year was my sister who was fourteen months older than me.  I have also lost a niece, a nephew-in-law, and my very last Aunty who passed away in February this year, but we were not told by her children until April.  

I knew I was grieving and having lost so many people over the years I knew the stages of grief and I just thought my irritability and extreme emotions at work were just another stage.  People at work were telling me to go to a doctor and get checked but I was in denial.  I couldn't have mental health issues.  How wrong could I be?????

Million-dollar question is now that I have stepped onboard this mental health journey, will I ever get off??????

1 REPLY 1

Re: where to begin

Yes @Karrie

I am sure you will get off - it takes time  - that's all  - and that's the hard part 

My worst and hardest loss was my son  - over 37 years ago now  - I thought I would never get past it - in time and with support I did.

Of course when we have a lot of elderly relatives they do tend to drop off the tree in their time - and I am glad you have shared your story here.

Having your last aunty die without her family telling you  - that's really rough  - and your sister too - so close

Imo - your depression and anxiety is tied up with your grief  - this is complex - I understand 

I'm still sending my best thoughts 

Owlunar 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126