Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exercise as Therapy // Tues. 19 June 7pm AEST

I was very reluctant to give up exercise as it was such a huge part of my identity and I dug my heals in for a long time. I started by compromising and we had a weekly limit, as I got more and more desperate to recover without giving up exercise, it became clear that it was something I needed to do. My body thanked me for letting it rest after years of abuse and now its getting stronger. When introducing exercise back in it started with social sport 2 days a week instead of one, then trialling some gym classes etc. I think an important part of re-engaging with exercise was that I did exercise that couldn't be measured in km run etc. so mainly group exercise. I also limited myself to one instructors class and I disclosed my history and it serves as an accountability tool for me.

For me the best motivation tool was always find exercise you actually enjoy. Don't go for a run if you dread running, try swimming or dance or tennis

@Former-Member  I have started writing a plan for each week. I find if I do this I stick to it and I can see what I have to do, I put a red tick next to what I get done when I do it. As each week goes I add a little extra , for example one week I might go on a ten min walk every 2nd day then the following week I’ll do it for 15 mins. 

I really like that staged approach @melq83. It can help to increase exercise gradually rather than getting caught up in that all or nothing mindset which often ends up keeping us feeling stuck.

On Motivation

There’s this myth out there that says that we have to wait for that feeling of motivation to come along before we take action. Did you know, the feeling of motivation actually tends to arise after we’ve already started taking action? Imagine someone training for a marathon. Most people don’t set out every day feeling inspired to run. However, once they take action and get into a routine of training, they start to feel more motivated, and it gets easier and easier over time. So in that way, the ‘feeling’ of motivation actually arises through routine. What’s one step you can take, no matter how small, towards doing what you want to do?

Thanks @queercat I turn 50 next year, feels like an old 50.

I'm often the only man in one of my classes.

Women seem more motivated to do yoga, at least where I go.

Adge

@Former-Member

So what I need is a weekly plan or daily plan. Write down my plan so I can see it. 

Then try to walk for say 10 mins then slowly increase to 45 mins. 

But im worried I'll get anxious. But I can always go home if I do. 

I need to lose weight so apart from not eating very much exercise is the only way to help. 

@Adge I try to do a little bit of yoga most mornings, but no classes. It's a big commitment to keep going.

Wow @Former-Member Greater positive social events.

I never heard of that one...

Adge

Getting my weights into the house.  They're next door at a neighbor's.  I'm going to get them tomorrow I think. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126