Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

@soul

Just going through comments now, had net connection issues then fogot once had it sorted.

I find it difficult because I feel the need to provide and am currently unable. Like @Shaz51 mr shaz I feel like a failure. 😕

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

Hi @Former-Member,

you see thats the problem, they will not do that, my wife went to one 4 years ago and didn't want to do it again.

So no. we have tried it and I try to talk about my sessions after everytime i go but they really are to busy to listen. They are how ever the first to get up me when I try and stand my ground when they say you are no better then 4 years ago. they think I am like I was and don't see or don't want to see the changes and enprovements I have made and gone through.

They don't hate me, i am someone with a mental disability and I am put in the corner. I am getting very close to just leaving and going up the coast for a week without telling them and see how long it takes for the to notice.

I wil  keep asking if they will come, I'm not giving up. But i am getting tired.

Dogman

@Determined, you are not a failure my friend , you are holding you darling and your family together , you are doing an amazing wonderful job , it is soo important on what you are doing

hi @soul,

I have worked hard all my life and now I cannot, I understand when you say I feel like a failure, I feel I should be the one helping with the providing.

Dogman

One of my biggest barriers to seeking help, when I first went to see a psychologist for support as a carer his advise was to quit my job and leave my wife and children. Told me he could not help if I did not follow his advice. Refused any assistance for  until burnout occured, then the barrier was medical people refusing to acknowledge my perception of problems and barrires. Just thought I was depressed and wanted  medicate me without addreasing causes. What I needed was tools to support my wife and balance a toxic (stressful wise) work enviornment 

Best help I have recieved is from a student psychologist at university psychology clinic. 

@Former-Member

For me the best progress was when a psychologist finally acknowledged my assesment on the bassis to my problems and barriers to solutions. Worked with me rather than trying to convince me I was wrong. 

This was a student psychologist in final training  (supervised) as part of a university psychology clinic. 

@Former-Member wrote:

We've come back to the need for connection a few times in this discussion @Former-Member.  Given that your husband didn't connect with the Men's Shed option, how did he build those connections? 

I see a lack of connection as one of my core issues. Caring for a wife with MI is very isolating for me. More so after I was forced to give up work. At least when I was working I was interacting with other people. I have no few friends and little social interaction. 

Interesting reading through all the comments now, disappointed I missed the discussion from the start. Thank you also from me to all who contributed, 

Wow - what an interesting Topic Tuesday! 

Thanks to all those involved - @Shaz51 @Adge @redheaded @soul @Former-Member @Former-Member @Former-Member @Quilly @Dogman @Former-Member @bubbles2 @Determined and of course @Glen-MensLineAu

I hope you found the session informative and helpful.

For members who haven't done do yet, it would be so appreciated if you could respond to a few questions in our annual survey Whether it's your first time in the Forums or your 10th year (okay I exaggerate Smiley Happy ) we would like to hear from everyone!

A big thank you to you all again!

Already done @NikNik Smiley LOL

You are 'up' early today lol - how are you?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126