Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

I am so sorry to hear how tough it was to reach out @Adge but I am glad to hear that you have now.. and am glad to see you on the forums!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

The fact is that we all know that things aren't perfect in our world...and this is question that would take many pages to answer in depth I think. I don't think it's going to help any of us if I start to get into positives and negatives of our mental health system as a whole. My training and experience lies in social science and psychology...and in that field we always start with a process of understanding the intricacies of every person, because no two people are the same; everyone is different. We’re all different…But we’re also a community, a society of people. We can’t always control what’s happening with the system, but we can be empowered about how we support each other as a community. Social and personal supports can be just as important as professional ones. They both have their place. What we can do is continue to build a strong community of Australians that are supportive of each other in acknowledging our mental health concerns.

@Former-Member, I agree with what you said about doing your own research and learning about what our hisbands have and to find ways to help them each day

@Glen-MensLineAu, @Former-Member

I think that the way people react to support and provide treatment (or not provide treatment for that matter) can really influence anyone of any gender.

I am female but due to my family's disbelief of MI & belief that MI isn't real. Then also after having bad experiences in therapy, being abandoned suddenly.. having meds stopped suddenly without explanation.. Then attempting suicide twice only to come out of hospital with still no support & family getting aggresive.

Is definitely a reason why I am so suicidal and in a bad spot.

The reaction and how mental health professionals DEAL with males who actually have reached out for support is a HUGE factor. If they have finally reached out but have been shut down or brushed over then that can really affect a person.

@redheaded wrote:
I totally get the diagnosis bias especially with PDs.

And what do you guys think about transmasculine, in my experience ftm have even more issues trying to get help/support.

Hi @redheaded, I know pretty much nothing about the challenges that transgender people face getting support, but I can imagine you may be right in suggesting that ftm have a particularly difficult time trying to get support.

Thank you @Quilly, it’s a pleasure to be here. I’m sorry that you’re feeling that blockage to connect like that. I actually thought that your experience was well articulated here…. But what I’m observing is a lot of thinking about how you’re feeling. When we’re thinking a lot it stands to reason that this will take up space where we could be connecting with someone else. A helpful exercise in a situation like this is something called ‘calling it out’. This means to ‘call out’ whatever is blocking you from connecting with another person. If you’re feeling that it’s hard to express your feelings…say it. Tell the person that you’re having trouble expressing yourself and talk about that instead. Talking about the blockage itself rather than trying to work around it can often dissolve something like this naturally. I hope this is helpful for you if you choose to try it out.

@Former-MemberWhen someone (anyone) is brave by reaching out for help & support - the last (worst) thing, is for them to feel brushed over or shut-down. Unfortunately that has been my experience too, on many occasions.

Agree @redheaded.  My team did some training recently that provided some eye-popping statistics about the mental health challenges of the trans and intersex community.  Really sad.  There are great organisations now like Q-Life who are really picking up the slack in this area and providing a safe place to seek help.  It's a start but there is much to be done.

Mr Darcy feels quite ashamed about having MI, he is not a handy man so the men's shed is not really suitable for him, but believe they can be very helpful. I do remember reading how men deal with grief differently to women and I think that grief is part of the equation, grief of not being what they see as their own and society's expectations of a male.

So @Glen-MensLineAu, I'm interested on your take as to how we build that strong supportive community you mentioned. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Office Number:
Phone 03 9830 0566
Fax 03 9830 4793
Email: admin@arcvic.org.au

292 Canterbury Road Surrey Hills
Vic 3127 Melway Map 46 F11

Postal Address:

PO Box 367 Canterbury Vic 3126